After Action Reports and Interviews
809th Tank Destroyer Bn. - History - Company B
| AAR index |


Copy received from Capt. Douglas P. Stout, Asst. S-3, CCB, 8AD
By: 1st Lt. Howard L Oleck (Historical Officer)
At: Venlo, Holland, 17 March 1945, 1600.


21 February 1945

Arrived Diergaarde Holland 1230, minus third platoon, which proceeded ahead. First section to Holst, Holland, attached to Company B, 49th Infantry, second section to St. Odilienberg, Holland, attached to Company C, 49th Infantry. Roads good, weather good, morale excellent. At 2000, first platoon proceeded to Borg, Holland, attached to 88th Cavalry Rcn, Troop B. Occupied fabrics factory. Shelled by enemy artillery during night. Company established CP at Diergaarde, Holland. Second platoon established roadblock in vicinity of Diergaarde, Holland.

22 February 1945

First platoon, first section destroyed two machine gun nests at 1000 yards range, expending 12 rounds of HE in supporting one squad of 79th Infantry. Second section destroyed one machine gun and one CP at a range of between 1400 and 1600 yards expanding 16 rounds of HE. Second platoon established indirect fire position through company FDC. Third platoon assumed defensive positions, receiving heavy mortar fire.

23 February 1945

Company remained in same positions. First platoon received intermittent mortar fire. Second platoon, no action. Third platoon, first section set fire to three haystacks using 6 rounds HE and 60 rounds of .50 caliber against suspected CP. Second platoon, no action.

24 February 1945

First platoon had no action. Second platoon fired 464 rounds of HE on Melik, Holland and surrounding areas between the hours of 0245 and 0415. Third platoon, no action.

25 February 1945

No change or action for the whole company.

26 February 1945

No action or change for the First and Second platoon. At 1200, Third platoon, 1st Section fired 6 rounds HE on Triest, Holland, to support Infantry, who were pinned down by machine gun fire. Mission accomplished. Second section, third platoon no change.

27 February 1945

No change or action for First or Second platoon. Third platoon, first section supported Infantry in taking Triest, Holland. Received artillery fire and withdrew. Returned to Holst, Germany (Holland?) after dark.

28 February 1945

Third platoon moved to Paarlo, Holland in defensive positions in the morning. Company minus third platoon marched to Am Stern, Germany. Third platoon marched from Posterholt, Holland to Arsbeck, Germany with the 49th Infantry. Company bivouaced in Am Stern, Germany March 1, 2, and 3, 1945 allowing 35th Infantry Division to use main road. Company minus third platoon left Am Stern, Germany.

3 March 1945

Arrived and spent night at Herongen, Germany. Received heavy shelling. Third platoon remained in Arsbeck, Germany.

4 March 1945

Company minus First and Third platoons began march to Aldekerk, Germany. First platoon attached to 36th Tank Battalion and took town of Alderkerk, Germany. Assumed defensive positions in vicinity of railroad depot. Captured 25 enlisted men and 1 Officer. Third platoon marched from Arsbeck, Germany to Aldekerk, Germany. Company bivouaced in Aldekerk, Germany.

5 March 1945

No change of positions for whole company.

6 March 1945

Company marched to Lintfort, Germany. First platoon engaged in battle on outskirts of town. Fired direct fire into German occupied woods. Inflicted approximately 50 casualties. Covered withdrawal of medium and light tanks, plus armored Infantry. Second platoon held in reserve. Third platoon killed 4 German and captured 14 in a street engagement on outskirts of Lintfort, Germany. Company Bivouaced on outskirts of Lintfort, Germany.

7 March 1945

Company marched to Rheinberg, Germany under heavy artillery fire. No casualties. Second platoon, in support of "I" company 137th Infantry, moved toward Ossenberg, Germany. Enemy observed and fired upon in several houses. Moved up to roadblock taking cover positions. Heavy mortar and artillery fire. First and third platoon held in reserve.

8 March 1945

Second platoon under heavy cross shelling destroyed one Tiger Tank. Third platoon moved up to support "L" company of 35th Infantry. First platoon in reserve. Suffered 9 casualties, 4 being evacuated. First platoon advanced toward Ossenberg, Germany under heavy shelling. Second and third remained in fire positions along road to Ossenberg, Germany. Company suffered 6 casualties, one death.

9 March 1945

First platoon withdrew to Rheinberg, Germany. Second platoon moved up to factory on outskirts of Ossenberg, Germany. Fired at two enemy anti-tank guns, believed to be destroyed. No confirmation. Third platoon remained in fire position along Ossenberg road. 2 casualties. Company commander wounded while inspecting positions and situations. Company Commander evacuated. 1st Lt. Richard H. Betts, assigned from Headquarters Company, 809th Tank Destroyer Battalion. Assumed command.

10 March 1945

First and third platoon, no action or movement. Second platoon moved into Ossenberg, Germany, firing in buildings. Advanced to outer edge of town supporting a company of Infantry.

11 March 1945

Company relieved 2400 10 March 1945, moved to Grefrath, Germany for reorganization, resupplying and training. Reverted to Battalion control.